Carnaval is a big deal here in the DR. La Vega (a town about 30 min. away from us) supposedly has the best Carnaval celebration outside of Brazil. Cool, huh?
Brooke, Karyn, and I ventured down to the square in town to see what it had to offer. I had heard of many bad things happening to people, so I was a little fearful. Apparently they hold these plastic bludgeons that they hit people with. If you're in the street then you get hit with them. When we got there, we stayed high up on the square so that we wouldn't be close to the road.
It was amazing to see the ornate costumes, the crazy music, and the people who were there.
The video below is a "team" or a group of people who dress up in similar costumes. These are "Los Lobos"
I believe there were 4 different teams of Carnaval-ers all with matching, ornate costumes.
Carnaval wasn't as scary of an experience as I had imagined. It was actually really neat. We were there for about 4 hours, and I loved watching the people in their shiny, large costumes. I loved watching the little kids in their costumes. Some of the costumes were CRAZY scary looking and people were putting their babies and small children with them like they were Santa Claus at the mall. I would be one terrified child if my mom or dad had put me with a scary, Satanic looking person.
A little kid in his costume all dressed up for Carnaval
One of the teams coming out
Los Lobos coming out
Parents forcing their child to sit with the scary creature
If you want to see more pictures and another video, check out this link:
No comments:
Post a Comment