Monday, October 6, 2008

spicy anecdotal update

1. hand-eye coordination
as you may (or may not) know, there are a MILLION mosquitoes here. Kelsey and I have the privilege of having our bedroom right next to the front door, which, if left open, lets said mosquitoes into our house. Kelsey oftentimes sit on our beds, and try to see which of us can kill the most mosquitoes with the fewest tries. Kelsey usually beats me, but I'm practicing my poor hand-eye coordination by watching the mosquitoes' paths and then all of the sudden: STRIKE. mosquitoes beware.

2. me lub you long tim
as I've already blogged about: Karyn and I have become crossword buddies. Daily in the teachers' lounge, you can find us hashing out another day's worth of English brain fuel. on Sunday we were googling the answers to our missing clues, and on the "freedictionary.com" website, there is DEFINITELY an icon where a creepy person who says the word out loud for you. Karyn and I immediately started searching for our own names, the names of Karyn's roommates, and then we decided to get clever. If you are an Office fan, you know there is an episode where Michael's doing the very same thing with his computer. Karyn opened up 5 different windows, put each of the words in a different window and then played them back to back. Needless to say, Karyn and I were dying laughing. Here's a picture (you know I captured that moment!) of what it looked like:



3. The Robot

My students have a test tomorrow in Reading. We've been reading an enthralling Basal story called On The Mayflower so there is some "ship" vocabulary. One of the words was hatch. I was trying to give them visual clues to go along with the words to help them understand what a hatch was so I put both of my arms one on top of the other and then brought one up so it looked like I was opening a hatch. One of my students, Josue, definitely started laughing. I was so confused until he told me that he "understood what I was trying to do." and promptly got up and started doing the Robot. Clearly at this point I lost it, so I was just trying to figure out how we go from talking about the Mayflower and digress as far as all of my students standing up attempting to do the Robot dance.

4. Smell the Flowers!
Tonight Karyn and I went on a walk around Jarabacoa. She took me to the hot spots and showed me all the good Jarabacoa nightlife joints. (not really.) but we did take a nice jaunt in which she allowed me to talk 98% of the time and the other 2% she was pointing out where various students live. Basically it was just awesome blossom to enjoy the night air and a good friend. During morning meeting this morning, we were challenged to find our childlike faith in order to be accepted into the kingdom of heaven. What a great challenge when we get to spend our day around children who give us a glimpse of what it means to follow Him with a fresh, wondering, and adoring spirit. Pretty awesome. As Karyn and I were walking, we some some flowers. I decided to pick one. I'm not gentle. I crushed it. It was a laugh. THEN we saw these BEAUTIFUL flowers in a tree. I was convinced I wanted to get one. I jumped up in the tree and crushed the flower again. ay-yi-yi. So my quest for a beautiful flower was unfulfilled, but at least I did get to smell the flowers. and adore God's creation. and revel in God's providence.

No comments: