Saturday, October 18, 2008

waves of mercy. waves of grace. :)

I feel like I am always writing about the wonderful activities and adventures that I'm happening...but I want you to know that it's not always easy living in the Dominican Republic. I love living here, and I think it's definitely where God wants me to be and where I want to be.

1. Our support money is lost. Well, supposedly New Horizons sent it in the mail over 2 weeks ago, and we didn't receive it on our last MFI (mail!) day. We don't know why, it apparently never made it to the MFI headquarters in Florida. Jarabacoa Christian School has about $6,000 worth of support in that check that is supposed to go to our new computer lab...so they're frantically trying to find it. We're thankful that they're frantically searching because our support money is very important and essential to our lifestyles as well. We've not received our support money in about a month and a half, so it's time as most of us are running thin...Pray that it gets found. and sent to us. ASAP.

2. Karyn's computer. We're still praying that God will convict whomever tookKaryn's computer to return it. It's so hard to live without a computer--without things for school, without pictures, without an easy way to stay in touch with people, without music--suddenly you realize how much your world revolves around technology. Maybe that's good or bad, but having your link to home suddenly taken definitely makes things difficult.

3. Lost and Found. Today was a gentle reminder that God is definitely in control. As Kelsey and I were sitting at the other girls' house, one of the girl's misplaced her bank card. As we were frantically searching through everything, screaming silent prayers to God to just help us FIND it, I was reminded that God seriously has everything under control. He won't give us more than we can handle. God knew that we couldn't handle another thing being lost, so he granted us our request and allowed us to find the missing bank card. I was so thankful. so thankful. so thankful.

4. Shoe Shine Boys. Today we went into town and walked. It hit me. We live in the Dominican Republic. We live in a 3rd world country. It seems like so often I forget that I live in a country riddled with poverty. I only see our plush houses and our schools and our students who live good lives. But today was a good reminder for me to pray. We were sitting in a little sandwich shop and I just watched these little boys with their little shoe shine kits staring at us...waiting for us to leave. Then we went to Bon, an ice cream shop, and there were more little boys waiting for people to shine their shoes. I saw more little boys today waiting to shine shoes than I've seen while I've been down here. I'm thankful for what I have. I'm praying for these small children that make their living shining shoes. or giving their money to people who make them shine shoes. What a sacrifice for them. Pray for those little boys. that they will be loved. and that they will find Jesus soon.

God's love and grace is so amazing to me. Sometimes I just get struck by it in a new way. I want you to know that everything here is going really well. God's faithfulness is so apparent every day. My cup is overflowing with His love. and it helps me to love others. I'm thankful He grants me mercy every morning! :)

When I am weak, you make me strong. (2 Corinthians 12:10)


No comments: