 |
| my two bunkmates, Melisa and Karen |
 |
| my roommate Jessica and I at the "Jaraba-party" |
This past weekend I had the privilege of attending a woman's conference for women from all over the DR. The conference was held in both English and Spanish, so it was definitely a good mix of Dominican and American women. The small groups that we met with were all people from our native language. I ended up actually knowing almost all the people in my group. It was good to spend time and get to know people who I knew on just an acquaintance basis. We all had to choose a promise of God to represent us and to be our nametag.
 |
| Melisa and I at the retreat |
I chose
I am free. because I have really been struggling with getting caught up in my sin and being brought down by my guilt. It was a good reminder that God sees me through the lens of the blood of Jesus and I am truly free.
Each morning and evening we had a Bible passage that we had to reflect on and think through in many different perspectives. It was really good for me to bring my thoughts back to Jesus and refocus my heart and energy on what He has for me in my life.
 |
| Jess dressed up for our skit | | | | | | |
|
I was most overwhelmed on this retreat in my dislike of community. Jesus calls us to be in community with other believers, but I definitely try to revolt against this. I enjoy being with others, but I don't enjoy sharing and opening up in things that expose my heart. Because I have been hurt so often before, I feel like I have to have a wall to keep people at an arm's distance while expecting them to share and open their heart to me. It was so humbling and breaking for me to see that I need others. I was thankful for the encouragement that I received this morning during our small group time that even though I may only have a short 5 months left here in the DR, the reward of sharing in deep, Christian community is worth the definite hard time that will follow when I have to leave...
So pray that I continue to use what I learned and that it wouldn't just be a "Jesus-high" of emotion but that what I have learned at the women's conference can be used to grow me...
No comments:
Post a Comment