Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Things to do before I turn 25...Host a baby shower

One of my favorite verses from the Message is from 1 Peter:  "Instead, bless—that's your job, to bless. You'll be a blessing and also get a blessing."  Well, last night I was able to bless my friend Caroline in hosting a baby shower for her.  Caroline works for Students International here in the DR and I have gotten to know her through some other friends and ultimately through watching football every Sunday at her house. She and her husband Ryan came on our Thanksgiving vacation with us, and we have enjoyed spending time together playing games, bowling, eating, watching movies, and enjoying life. :)


Maggie's ribbon was a little too long...

At her baby shower, we enjoyed watching her open her new carseat and stroller that we all had pitched in money to buy her. We played many games, including picking a length of ribbon to see if people could guess how big Caroline was around, trying to determine baby food flavors by their look and smell, and we had two girls try and drink apple juice from a baby bottle. It was so fun! There was also much yummy food that we all brought to share.


My 2 favorite parts of the night were seeing Caroline smile so much and praying for her and her family. I love seeing the joy that is brought when others completely love. Every single person who was there at the baby shower loved on Caroline and made her feel so special.
The most important thing we did for Caroline at the shower was pray for her. I wanted her to know that we were supporting her not only with our gifts and words but also lifting her, Ryan, and James up to the Lord in confidence that He will provide for and take care of them. It was beautiful being able to lay hands on her, pray, and listen to others pray for her peace, safety, and a complication-free labor and delivery. I teared up a little during this, listening to women lifting Caroline up and showing their love and compassion for her and her little family.   I firmly believe that the Lord heard our prayers as Jesus promised, "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."


The 4 pregnant women at the shower

This was definitely a new experience for me and a complete joy. I loved the gratitude that radiated from Caroline for all the women that surrounded her and love her down here in the DR. I can imagine that it’s hard to be away from friends and family from home, so it’s nice to feel like we are not only a replacement but an addition to the family that she has in the States.   

Like it says in 1 Peter, Caroline's baby shower not only blessed her but also blessed me by the joy that I received in seeing her so happy and loved.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Awesome! What a happy time!

sawyers5dr said...

You are such a sweet friend. I'm sure Caroline must be totally blessed by your friendship!