Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cloud of Witnesses

Hebrews 12:1 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 
When we started WyldLife here in Jarabacoa, we discussed the necessity for our students to have strong Christian influences from the adults that they see every day, but in a more relaxed setting.  We talked about how our students crave attention and time with adults that they see care about them.  How this influence and relationship that we build with them will ultimately lead them to Christ. 
          It got me thinking back to the pivotal time in my life that I started getting serious about my future and my relationship with Christ.  I had the awesome opportunity to be a manager for our girls’ basketball team in high school.  My friend from math class, Jayme, (so high school, right?) asked if I would be interested in helping out.  My 6th grade teacher was a basketball coach so I knew her and Jayme and decided that it could be fun and really liked the girls on the team and wanted to be cool like them (story of my life!).  Never did I believe that this opportunity would change my life.  
          I spent so much time working with the coaches, laughing, reliving our many, many, many inside jokes (that got put up on the wall of the coaches’ office), and talking with them.  I would just like to write down some of the inside jokes so that we have them written here…”Coach left her gum at the cottage.”  The Hub Bootery, “The balls are warm.” Lil Pimp Dog, “T is a leaper.”  Pat the Monkey, Wolf, The Abby Noll Play (all plays run by the players)…man those memories still bring a smile to my face.
          Some of my most memorable moments are when the coaches would spend time with us after games or practice and talk with us while we drank sparkling grape juice.  I remember craving this time with them and cherishing it deeply.  Now, I don’t know (7/8 years later!) if they would ever remember doing that, but they did and that meant the most to me.  It was them who created the “cloud of witnesses” around my heart that made me want to grow up to be just like them.  These women are 4 of the most amazing Christian women that I’ve ever known. 
           I knew that when I went to college I would miss that valuable time with the coaches.  Never did I imagine that the relationship that they began with us when I was 16/17 years old would continue until I was 24!  We have gotten together every single summer and Christmas since I left for college.  We all sit and talk about life and what things are new and reminisce about the “good ol’ days” of basketball.  All those ladies have left CHS to go on to bigger and better things, got married, had kids, kids growing up, going to school and college, growing…I love it.  I love being a part of their lives and am thankful that they are a part of mine.
          This time still blesses my heart.  I feel so encouraged in the decisions I have made and know that I can count on all of them to lift me up in prayer and encouragement throughout the year even if we don’t talk all that often between our gatherings.  So Dawn, Trinda, Beth, and Lisa, thank you.  You bless my heart and I am so thankful for who you are and the impact that you have had on my life. 
          So I think about my WyldLife kids and the potential influence that I could have on their lives and it encourages me.  I know that 1 person can make a difference in the life of a kid, and I am encouraged that God could use me to be that person to change a kid’s life and lead them to a relationship with Christ.  

No comments: