As most of you know, at the end of this year I will be returning to the United States for good. At least for now. :) Although it was a tough decision, and daily I wish that I could forever stay with these kids, I truly think it is time for me to return back to the US. I'm considering moving to the Baltimore area with a friend who worked down here in the DR with me last year, Natalie. (Ironic, eh?) And possibly teaching or working with Young Life, an organization that I've come to know and love over the past year.
It seems like far in the future when I am leaving, as for now I am making another big change. My friend and coworker Laura is going on maternity leave starting on Monday and I have agreed to take over her 5th grade class when she goes. What does that mean for my kids? Well, this week we've combined the two third grade classes and I will be giving up (most of) my prep periods in order to be in the third grade classroom as much as possible. My co-teacher, Jessica, has so graciously stepped up to the challenge of having these 23 kiddos in the class.
It wasn't a decision that I really even got to make, as it was the only decision that could be made because the substitute that had been hired, backed out about 2 weeks ago. Although I've known the possibility of me teaching 5th grade, it didn't make it any easier to tell my students nor is it easy for me to leave them. It still makes me tear to think about the fact that I am not going to get to teach my wonderful 3rd graders anymore.
I could probably explain the tumult of emotions that I've felt over the past week, but I don't know that it would do any good, as the decision has already been made. But I know that if I would have been given a choice, I would have stayed with my 3rd graders. It has been a rocky year, but I have grown to love them so deeply...It's funny, but I kind of feel like I've been demoted. I feel like I got fired from my kids (mainly because I had to pack up my classroom and move all my stuff out and everything) and am now having to be a sub. Ironic because my friend (and admin) Karen sent me her "evaluation" of me today, which praised me a lot. and it is just funny because I have to "step down" from 3rd grade but am getting praised. I dunno, just ironic...
I'm here to serve at JCS, not to get my own way, and if this is what God has for me, then I will follow.
Pray for all the kids as they are adjusting to new teachers and new procedures and new situations. The positive is that I was the teacher of the 5th graders last year, so I know them and who they are and what they're like. Keep praying for us. and please pray that I can find a job soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment